[thechat] footer, can't we all just get along?

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Sun May 26 17:09:00 CDT 2002

On 26 May 2002 at 21:27, Chris Marsh posted a message which said:

> Wales is not a country. It *is* a nation, *and* a principality, but not
> a country.

According to my dictionary, if you have an occupied land with a
sovereign land, then the people, or the land, or the government which
is sovereign over them can be referred to as a nation, or a country. A
principality is the territory of a prince, which may or may not be
sovereign.

By those definitions, England, Scotland, and Wales would be neither
nation nor country, but simply regions of the United Kingdom of Great
Britain and Northern Ireland.

You obviously see some difference between nation and country. It
wouldn't be the first time the dictionary missed some semantic nuance.
Would you care to explain what *you* see as the difference between the
two?

deke

--
  Do gravediggers qualify for "cost of living" raises?