[thechat] Things I Have Learned About Texas!

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Tue May 28 16:27:01 CDT 2002

> (Waiting for someone else to send in a link to one of those
> "wierd laws that were never removed from the books" sites --
> like photographing rabbits in Ohio during certain months of the year.)

i cannot in good conscience reveal where i stole these from

rudy

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- In Kingsville, Texas, there is a law against two pigs having sex on the
city's airport property.

- It is illegal for hens to lay eggs before 8 am and after 4 pm in Norfolk,
Virginia.

- Ducks quacking after 10 pm in Essex Falls, New Jersey are breaking the
law.

- In Quitman, Georgia, it is against the law for a chicken to cross any road
within the city limits.

- In McDonald, Ohio, farmers cannot march a goose down a city street. And
fowl, particularly roosters, are prohibited from going into bakeries in
Massachusetts.

- In Kansas, it is illegal for chicken thieves to work during daylight
hours.

- In New York, frogs may be taken from their ponds from June 16 to September
30, but only between sunrise and sunset.

- In Pennsylvania, no one is allowed to shoot bullfrogs on a Sunday.

- In Arizona, the bullfrog-hunting season is permanently closed.

- In Vermont, you can be fined if your pig runs in a public park without the
permission of a selectman.

- French Lick Springs, Indiana, once passed a law requiring all black cats
to wear bells on Friday the 13th.

- Madison, Wisconsin, will not allow joint custody of a family pet when a
couple divorces - the animal is legally awarded to whoever happens to have
possession of it at the time of the initial separation.

- Dogs in Foxpoint, Wisconsin, may not bark profusely, snarl, or make any
menacing gestures.

- In Texas, it's illegal to put graffiti on someone else's cow.

- Cats in International Falls, Minnesota, are not allowed to chase dogs up
telephone poles.

- If your dog gets your neighbour's dog pregnant in Danbury, Connecticut,
you are responsible and must pay for the abortion if the neighbour chooses
to have it done.

- In North Carolina, it is against the law to use elephants to plough cotton
fields.

- In New York City, one is forbidden from shooting rabbits from the back end
of a Third Avenue streetcar when it is moving.

- In Kansas, people cannot shoot rabbits while in a motorboat.

- In Statesville, North Carolina, it is against the law to race rabbits in
the streets.

- In Tuscumbia, Alabama, no more than eight rabbits can reside on the same
block.

- A law in Detroit, Michigan, prohibits crocodiles from being tied to a fire
hydrant.

- Donkeys are not allowed to sleep in bathtubs in Brooklyn, New York.

- In Baltimore, Maryland, it is necessary to document any services performed
by a jackass.

- In Ohio, it is against the law to set a fire under your mule if it balks.

- In Arkansas, if your 2-year-old mule runs wild and is unclaimed within 2
days, anyone may castrate the animal.

- In Marshalltown, Iowa, a horse will be breaking the law if it eats a fire
hydrant.

- People can be fined, arrested or jailed for making ugly faces at a dog in
Oklahoma.

- Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in
groups of three or more on private property.

- In Tulsa, Oklahoma, dogs are prohibited from going on private property
unless the owner gives his consent first.

- In Chicago, it is illegal to take a French poodle to the opera.

- Dogs are strictly forbidden from riding in ambulances in Westport,
Massachusetts.

- Wallace, Idaho, decreed it is unlawful for anyone to sleep in a dog
kennel.

- In Clawson, Michigan, a law specifically makes it legal for a farmer to
sleep with his pigs, cows, horses, goats, and chickens. But the animals may
not be in the house after sunup or during the day.

- Florida has a law prohibiting the transporting of livestock on school
buses. If you live in Franklin, Kentucky, you can't legally trade horses
after dark.

- In Alabama, no mules can be traded after supper when the sun has already
gone below the horizon. And in Idaho, you can't buy or sell chickens after
sundown without the sheriff's permission.

- It is illegal to lasso a catfish in Tennessee and the state of Washington.

- In Seattle, goldfish can ride the city buses in bowls only if they keep
still.

- You cannot shoot fish with a bow and arrow in Louisville, Kentucky. And
you cannot shoot fish with a gun in the state of Washington or in
Hazlehurst, Mississippi.

- It's against the law to get a fish drunk in Oklahoma.

- In Kansas, you cannot fish with your bare hands, while in the state of
Washington, you can't catch a fish by throwing a rock at it.

- No dog may be tied to a shade tree in Birmingham, Alabama.

- An ordinance in Belvedere, California, states "No dog shall be in a public
place without its master on a leash."

- Another misworded ordinance is this one from Arvada, Colorado: "If a stray
pet is not claimed within 24 hours, the owner will be destroyed."

- Fights between cats and dogs are prohibited by statute in Barber, North
Carolina.

- In Sterling, Colorado, it is unlawful to allow a pet cat to run loose
without a taillight.

- In Ventura County, California, cats and dogs are not allowed to have sex
without a permit.

- Cats living in Cresskill, New Jersey, must wear three bells to warn birds
of their whereabouts.

- A Fountain Inn, South Carolina, law once required horses to wear pants at
all times. But carriage horses in Charleston, South Carolina, were required
to wear diapers.

- In Calgary, Canada, a by-law requires businesses within the city to
provide rails for tying up horses.

- In Winona, MS, it is illegal to drive a car on Main Street because it
frightens horses.

- In Wilbur, Washington, it is against the law for a person to "ride an ugly
horse" - the fine is $300!

- If you live in California, you cannot keep your chickens, turkeys, goats,
cows, and other farm animals in an apartment.

- In Cumberland, Maryland, you cannot keep your chickens with you in your
hotel room.

- In Minnesota, it's illegal to tease skunks.

- In Atlanta, it's against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or a
street lamp.

- Riding a camel on a highway in Nevada is against the law. Over in
Galveston, Texas, it is against the law for camels to wander the streets
unattended.

- In Arizona, it is illegal to shoot or hunt camels.

- It's illegal to take a deer swimming in water above its knees in North
Carolina.

- It is illegal to ride a mule down Lang, Kansas' Main Street in August,
unless the animal is wearing a straw hat.

- Over in Berea, Kentucky and also in Willimantic, Connecticut, horses are
not allowed out on the streets and highways at night unless the animal has a
"bright" red taillight securely attached to its rump.

- Horses may not wear cowbells inside the city limits of Tahoe City,
California.

- In Washington, though, every cow wandering the streets of Seattle must be
wearing a cowbell.

- In Burns, Oregon, horses are allowed in the town's taverns, if an
admission fee is paid before they enter.

- You can't blow your nose in public places in Leahy, Washington, because it
might scare a horse and cause it to panic.

- In Wanassa, New Jersey, a dog is breaking the law if it is heard to be
"crying."

- In Maryland it used to be illegal to seat lions in the theatre.

- In North Carolina it's a crime to move twin beds together in a motel room.

- In Tennessee it was once illegal for three dogs to stand together.

- In Georgia it used to be illegal for chickens to cross the road.

- In Oklahoma it was once the law for a female car driver to follow her
husband who was carrying a red flag. But if she had had five accidents she
also had to be accompanied by a brass band