[thechat] Things I Have Learned About Texas!

Bob Davis bobdavis at mac.com
Tue May 28 17:49:09 CDT 2002

On 5/28/02 5:18 PM, "David Wagner" <dave at worlddomination.net> wrote:

> JCanfield at magisnetworks.com wrote:
>
>> Things I Have Learned About Texas
>> ------------------------------------
>> Armadillos sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air.
>>
>> --------------------------------------
>> I won't even bother sending the rest of it. Nothing else even comes close.
>>
>> If you're not from Texas, it wouldn't make any more sense than this anyway.
>
> To quote Lyle Lovett: "That's right, you're not from Texas -- but Texas
> wants you anyway".

The flip side of that one is: "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as
soon as I could"

> I had a cousin who lived in San Antonio. She explained exactly that
> sentiment to me before I came to visit.

I live in SA. It's a very welcoming place.

> After I saw the giant boots, I had no doubt that it was true, but I
> began to wonder who'd want Texas.

It gets into your blood - seriously. I'm a pretty hard core Yankee, or at
least I was until I got here. Now I'm listening to Robert Earle Keene [1]
while I polish my Luccheses [2] and arguing the merits of roasted poblanos
[3] in your chilli.

It's weird.

Of course, living with a native doesn't make it any easier to resist. ("Hey,
let's take dance lessons at Gruene hall [4] - you need to learn to two-step
[5]"...)

I am not getting a cowboy hat though. I will not.  I kind of like them fancy
belts though (http://www.vogtsilversmiths.com/ )...

Texas, in short, is very fun. The Margarita was invented in San Antonio -
how bad can  it be?

Bob

1. REK is a western/honky-tonk singer. Very funny songs. He was Lyle
Lovett's room mate at Texas A&M. He sings songs about Texas.

2. Lucchese is  one of the finest and best loved cowboy boot companies. The
boots are hand made and feel wonderful on your feet.

3. Poblano chili's are a type of pepper plant that is popular in
southwestern/tex-mex cooking.

4. Gruene Hall (pronounced green) is a famous dance hall for country/western
dancing. If you saw the dance scene in the movie "Michael" (with John
Travolta), you have seen Gruene Hall - http://www.gruenehall.com/

5. Two-step - the Texas Two Step is a dance style that's common here...