[thechat] Do I want a yacht? Oh, how I do not! [answers]

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Thu May 30 20:16:00 CDT 2002

Hey all,

Answers below, because William did such a good job.

> only if they were offering 1,000,000 turkish lira as the prize ... which
> they're not.  In Turkey, it's "Kim Besyuzmilyar Ister?" and the top prize
is
> 500,000,000,000 lira, which is roughly US$ 348,000.  The biggest win so
far
> is 125,000,000,000 lira, or around US$ 87,000.

Ah. Well, there you go. "Who wants to be a half-trillionaire" has a pretty
nice ring to it....

> > 1) Every year, the US president delivers the "state of the (what)"
> >    address?
>
> Nation

yep (obviously)

> > 2) Tobey Maguire plays which superhero in the upcoming movie of the
> >    same name?
>
> Spider-Man

yep (even more obviously)

> > 3) The Strait of Gibraltar connects the Atlantic Ocean with which
> >    sea?
>
> Mediterranean

yep

> > 4) What Australian artist is famous for his paintings of Ned Kelly?
>
> Sidney Nolan (had to google for that one!)

Yep. Thought non-Aussies might have a hard time with that one. Fairly easy
for most Australians, I would think; in fact, I was surprised at how easy
the questions were.

> > 5) Nostradamus was born in which country?
>
> France

Yep.

> > 6) Held to the earth by "mass of gravity" is which body of gases?
> >    (no, that one doesn't even make sense. I didn't write it...)
>
> nitrogen and oxygen

I think the answer they were after was "atmosphere". I'm not sure though. I
was paraphrasing (it was a bit hard to write down exactly what she was
saying while still trying to think of the answer), so it might have been a
bit easier if I had explained it better.

> > 7) Estimation: How many complaints were made to the Commonwealth
> >    Ombudsman about about the Australian Taxation Office last year?
>
> 7,800 (he said guessing!)

3,354.

http://www.comb.gov.au/publications_information/Annual_Reports/AR2000-01/tax
%20report.pdf