[thechat] An Introduction to Mr. Jinnah

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at hotpop.com
Mon Jun 3 09:36:00 CDT 2002

Hello Everybody,
Some days ago a man, Yousuf Harichara, wrote something about a so-called
separatist "Jinna". In fact he mis-spelled the word. It is "Jinnah"
rather that Jinna. I realize and confess that our governments have not
done enough to introduce the great people of Pakistan around the world.
Today I'll try to introduce you Our Leader, Jinnah, who is known as
Quaid-e-Azam in Pakistan.
Confidentially, he is my ideal political leader and most favourite
person in the history of my country, Pakistan.
Jinnah was born in Karachi on 25th of December, 1876. On that day, all
Christians in subcontinent were celebrating their Christmas and the
parents of Jinnah were celebrating the birth of their first baby, a boy,
whom he called Muhammad Ali Jinnah. His real name was Muhammad Ali, same
as of a famous USA Muslim Boxer. Jinnah was his family name. His
relatives called him Ali rather Jinnah or Muhammad.
It is a custom in the Muslims of sub-continent that nobody is called by
the name of Muhammad if this name is a part of his full name. It is done
in the respect of Prophet Muhammad. Calling somebody with his family
name is often avoided, not only non-officially but also officially
because it is often confused with the other members of the same family.
In short, if a Muslim of subcontinent has three words in his name, like
Muhammad Ali Jinnah, then he will be called and known with his middle
name, Ali. As it is custom in Europe and USA to call the last name,
therefore, Muhammad Ali Jinnah was recognized as Mr. Jinnah among
British rulers of subcontinent.
Jinnah went to England at the age of 16 after his Matriculation. He
became barrister by studying in Lincoln's Inn. He came back to
sub-continent after getting his degree in 1896 and began to practise
law. Meanwhile, he took part in some political activities and became an
active member of All India Congress (founded in 1885). In 1913, Jinnah
got the membership of All India Muslim League also, but he still
remained a member of Congress. It helped him to listen from both sides
very clearly. He was a strong supporter of an Independent India and he
strictly ruled out any option of any separate country for Muslims in
subcontinent. A moderate leader of Congress, Mr. Gokhlay called him "the
Ambassador of Hindu-Muslim Unity". Unfortunately, Mr. Gokhlay died very
soon and subcontinent lost a good leader. Mr. Gokhlay was very close to
Mr. Jinnah. After Mr. Gokhlay's death, Mr. Jinnah abandoned All India
Congress because this party made him very despair. In late 1920's, Nehru
Report was announced which Mr. Jinnah considered anti-Muslim and he
presented his 14 points in 1929. Congress did not agreed with his 14
points. These 14 points were based on the concept of Hindu-Muslim unity.
There was no indication of any separate country for Muslims in these 14
points. If you want to know these 14 points then tell me, I'll let you
know.
After three round-table conferences in London, Jinnah abandoned
subcontinent and started his life in England as a barrister. Meanwhile,
in 1930, Allama Iqbal (known as Sir Dr. Muhammad Iqbal in England) had
announced his idea of separate country for Muslims. In mid-1930's Jinnah
came back to subcontinent as a politician. He was brought back by Allama
Iqbal (national poet of Pakistan) with the help of many other
politicians. At that time, Jinnah was president of All India Muslim
League. In 1937, Congress came in power as a consequence of elections
which were held under the British India Act of 1935. This government
lasted for two years and as a consequence of resignations of congress
ministers in 1939, it ended. This two year government of Congress made
Mr. Jinnah and Muslims very despair. Muslims' demand for separate
country became very powerful and because of this Jinnah had to review
his political strategy of Hindu-Muslim unity. In 1940, All India Muslim
League held a conference in Lahore and passed a resolution for separate
country for Muslims. At that time, British rulers had realized that
Muslim League was the only representative of Muslims of subcontinent and
this party was being presided by Mr. Jinnah. 1940 resolution resulted a
separate country for Muslims in subcontinent, Pakistan on 14th of August
1947. Jinnah became the first Governer General of Islamic Republic of
Pakistan. Jinnah could not create a country alone. He did it with the
support of Millions of Muslims of Subcontinent.
In 1940, Jinnah and his part Muslim League was in full power of fame
among Muslims. Muslims gave Muhammad Ali Jinnah a new title,
Quaid-e-Azam, as a recognition of his services for the Muslims of
subcontinent. Now for Pakistanis, he is Quaid-e-Azam. It means "The
Greatest Leader". After the creation of Pakistan, Jinnah's name was
changed as a Pakistani citizen in a resolution passed by the legislative
assembly of Pakistan. In the official papers of Pakistan, Jinnah's
complete name is Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah. Now the word
Quaid-e-Azam is a part of Jinnah's name. In the elementary schools of
Pakistan, children learn "Q for Quaid-e-Azam".
Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah died in Karachi on September 11, 1948.
September 11 became a black day for Americans in 2001 but this day had
already become a black day for Pakistanis in 1948. On September 11,
2001, Pakistanis were remembering their Quaid-e-Azam on his death
anniversary when they got another bad news. And that bad news was about
the tragic events of NYC and Washington DC. Murder of thousands of
innocent people on September 11, 2001, reminded us the bloodshed of
thousands of migrating innocent Muslims in 1947 and 1948.

I have not discussed many bitter facts just to keep the list cool and
calm. More details can be asked from me offlist. I confess, above text
does not emphasize the need of Pakistan's creation in enough detail,
because above is just an Introduction to Quaid-e-Azam.
Thank you,
Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/