[thechat] passport expediter services

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Mon Jun 3 12:57:01 CDT 2002

Miriam Frost wrote:
>>We went directly to the state
>>department and applied in the morning, and had new passport in hand
>>about 5 hours later.
>>
>>This is precisely the route I would take. Get your ass to the state
>>department NOW, no holds barred. I don't think you have any choice.
>>
>>You may, unfortunately, be screwed. But I hope you're not.
>

> But but but
> this kind of thing happens all the time....

If I had experience with such a service, or knew anyone who had, I could
make a recommendation. But as is, I'd only trust myself to sink or swim
on something this important.

Will they guarantee their work? Like, if they fail to get your passport,
you receive a healthy cash prize?

If they don't, then I'd not trust them at all.

> hence the plethora of businesses that do that....
> prey on the needy...

And who knows if they even get the job done.

In the end, this IS a government deal. Why you would go to a private
enterprise, I'm not sure.

> Also if I take a day to drive to Chicago to get this taken care of, and they
> tell me, "sorry, 2 weeks" -- then I am for certain screwed... ugh.

But again, you're not going to just go and ask "how long will it take" -
  you go and you fully plead your case. You're a law-abiding, freedom
loving american who made a slacker decision mad you're paying for it.
You have your birth certificate, Social Security card, your driver's
license, your trip itinerary, the whole sheer, and could they please
make an accommodation to make a rush.

I'm sure that's what the expediters do. But they charge money.

For me, I'd simply not be willing to outsource something this important
to a company I didn't trust with my life.

 > banging head on desk,

Fuck that! Get yer ass to Chicago, you slacker!

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>