[thechat] Brazil to win world cup, England out in the 2nd round.

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Jun 4 11:20:11 CDT 2002

John Handelaar wrote:
> Yeah, that and they played like a bunch of drunk
> three-legged donkeys against Saudi Arabia the other
> day.  For those not familiar with progress thus far,
> they beat the Saudis 8-0, but I've seen under-11s
> could have beat *that* side by thirty goals or more.

Appearantly you were watching a different game than I was.  The Germans
played well.  Admittedly, the Saudi's should not have been let on the
field, but none the less, the Germans played well.  Their other matches
will be much better indicators of their progress but I see them doing
well in the second round and possibly beyond.

I don't understand how anyone on this thread has mentioned Argentina.
Did anyone watch the Argentina-Nigeria match?  That was a fantastic
match.  I expect Argentina to win the whole thing.  A fabulous
combination of structure, flow, speed, and creativity.  And that's what
it takes to win a world cup.  I'm appalled that people were arguing
against starting Batistuta.  He's one of the best play makers in the
world and he'll be a big reason the Argentines go far this year.

And speaking of under achieving, does England expect to play that way
against everyone and move on?  Sweden is a good team, but not as good as
either Argentina or Nigeria.  England lost its best chance for 3 points.
  They are going to have to seriously raise the level of their game if
they want to advance.  I think that can do it, but I'm not sure if they
will.

Judah
(who will be up at 1:55 am tomorrow morning to watch the US-Portugal game)