[thechat] np: Robin Trower - Too Rolling Stoned

jcanfield at magisnetworks.com jcanfield at magisnetworks.com
Tue Jun 4 12:12:00 CDT 2002

> > So rudomiser, do you tune your low 'E' down to a 'D' ?
>
> sorry, joel, but i don't play any instrument

I didn't specify an instrument . . .

> question:  what is the generally accepted term for that
> tingle you get running up and down your spine (mine sort of
> spreads out from there into my arms and legs too) when you
> hear a particular bit of music?  it is fast, taking two
> seconds, tops, to spread throughout the body, and i am
> totally guessing (from hollywood's depictions) that it must
> be similar to a heroin rush

Thrill. I don't know any other word.
According to Merriam-Webster:
[transitive senses]
1 a : to cause to experience a sudden sharp feeling of excitement b : to
cause to have a shivering or tingling sensation
2 : to cause to vibrate or tremble perceptibly
[intransitive senses]
1 : to move or pass so as to cause a sudden wave of emotion
2 : to become thrilled : a : to experience a sudden sharp excitement b :
TINGLE, THROB
3 : TREMBLE, VIBRATE

So, yeah, that's what *I* feel; that's what makes me talk and write about it
endlessly.

> "angel" by aerosmith
>
> dvorak's symphony #1 (it's unfailing, hits me every time,
> like an orgasm)

Need to hear both; neither is coming quickly to mind.

> it's funny, because it's never the melody, that's for sure,
> it's just a chord change or something
>
> also, it usually occurs right when i start listening to
> music, not after listening for a while
>
> brain chemistry is a funny thing, innit?

Music is about change. The melody is the most memorable part, but not always
the most evocative part. Rhythym, tempo, dynamics, all play a part. Which
affects you more in a Trower lead, the blistering run down the fretboard, or
the sudden silence when he screeches to a halt? They're both part of the
experience.

One of the only piano songs I can stumble through is 'Birth of the Blues.'
In the bridge, there's a spot where you play the same melody twice, but the
second time, you play different chords with it. The change is my favorite
spot in the tune.

The sensations you're describing are how I've always felt about music.

joel