[thechat] What World Cup? We've Got the NBA

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Wed Jun 5 12:14:00 CDT 2002

At 10:35 PM 6/5/2002, BenD wrote:

>- Low to no scoring.
>- Lots of running around.
>- Very few breaks to grab a beer from the fridge.
>- Ties.
>
>These are things that Americans hate in sports.  FootSoccerBall has all four.

Then one wonders why you Americans haven't taken to One Day International
Cricket in droves. ;)

Let's see...

- Low to no scoring: Nope, the average match (game to you Americans) has
over 200 runs scored.

- Lots of running around: Well, it depends on the batsman. They could hit a
lot of boundaries (4 runs) and don't have to run.

- Very few breaks to grab a beer from the fridge: Ah, you'll love the
breaks after every over bowled in the match. There are 50 of them, so
you'll get 50 breaks. That's a break every 6-10 minutes.

- Ties: Very difficult, unless abnormal weather conditions force an
abandoned game. Even if both teams score the same, there are other ways to
win the match.

C'mon boys, throw your baseball bats away and play cricket like the
Commonwealth countries. :0

Madhu
PS: Of course, I agree that 5-day Test matches in cricket are unbelievably
boring, and should be banished.