[thechat] Coming Up To Speed on Futbol

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 5 14:03:05 CDT 2002

Last Saturday I visited dumpsters behind many stores
searching for empty boxes since we'll be moving in
late June - just across town. Most of the boxes had
been broken down and I decided to tape them back
together while sitting in front of the tv hoping I'd
find something worth watching on a Saturday afternoon.
To my surprise I found the very beginning of the
Ireland/Cameroon game on ABC. Without commercials.
(I reckon it was a delayed broadcast.)

I watched the whole game and absolutely loved it and
want more. My daughter had been watching with me till
she was called to the back of the house by my wife.
While she was there Ireland scored and I screamed.
Then I could hear my daughter hollering "GO Ireland!"
(We're what you'd call Irish-American.)

Then I hear good things about the USA team
and lots of fun things happening to the favorites and
well this looks like a real fun thing to follow. So
I start reading everything I can find. Then I read
this in an article from Reuters (via My Yahoo):

"John O'Brien* scored the fastest goal of the
tournament so far in the fourth minute as the
Americans recorded their most famous victory since
their 1-0 win over England at the 1950 World Cup.**

"Landon Donovan* and Brian McBride* scored the other
two American goals with Beto Severo replying for
Portugal. Jeff Agoos scored an own goal for the
United States."

Okay, final score was 3-2. O'Brien* scored first for
USA. Then Donovan* and then McBride*. That's 3, right?
So wassup with "Jeff Agoos scored an own goal for the
US"? What's an "own goal"? Bigger question, any
suggestions for a crash course on the game and the
World Cup in general? How'd the teams get there? How
many from each group advance to round 2? I did a
search at google for "World Cup 2002" and, well,

"Results 1 - 10 of about 2,030,000. Search took 0.16
seconds."

That's an awful lot of URLs to check out, even on a
T-1 line! Any help separating the wheat from the chaf
would be greatly appreciated. I have FIFA.com on my
Personal Toolbar in NS, but I'd like something aimed
at a beginner as well.

Terry

* Are we sure this isn't the Ireland team in disguise?
** 1950???