[thechat] I Hate Windows!

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Wed Jun 5 16:34:01 CDT 2002

On 04:09 PM 6/5/2002, Madhu Menon said to me:
>At 02:29 AM 6/6/2002, BenD wrote:
>>I'm running Win2K Pro SP2.  IIS and CF were installed recently but AFTER
>>this problem started.  It *did* start happening about the time we switched
>>to a domain controller here in the office (but I didn't set it up and I'm
>>not in a position to debug that).  The connection does act normally, so
>>that doesn't *seem* like that's it.
>
>I had the same problem a few months ago, except that it only happened while
>connecting to my ISP. I could try and help you more, but first I need to
>know if your PC is on a LAN or a standalone, and what you typically use it
>for. There are tons of services you can turn off (or if you're unsure, set
>them to "Manual"), but it depends on whether yours is a standalone PC or not.

Hey Madhu

My networking knowledge is almost nil, so let's see what I've heard in passing.

The work computer is on a LAN.  We are behind a router/firewall (I have a
static IP address, but it's a reserved address - 192.168.*.* - assigned by
the router).  We are using a Domain Controller for logging into
Windows.  And something something about DHCP (so I left that service alone).

I've been going through this page:
<http://www.blkviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm>
for advice on which services to mess with or leave alone.

Here's basically the services I've widdled it down to being the culprits:

COM+ Event System
Computer Browser *
DHCP Client *
DNS Client *
IPSEC Policy Agent
Net Logon *
Network Connections *
Plug and Play *
Print Spooler *
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) *
Removable Storage *
Security Accounts Manager
Server *
System Event Notification
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service
Windows Management Instrumentation
Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions
Workstation *

* - Something that I know I use on a regular basis or is required to run
the machine.

I've also been looking for some kind of trigger for this repeated slowdown
and there isn't anything (except when I need to do something important -
but that's Murphy's Law).

Anyways, hope that information is of some use.  I'm really pulling my hair
out here.

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/

   Whatever it is, I'm sure that I was just about to get to it.