[thechat] Whoo-hoo! 10.1.5

Bob Davis bobdavis at mac.com
Wed Jun 5 16:35:04 CDT 2002

On 6/5/02 3:56 PM, "Martin Burns" <martin at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Something to download tonight while perusing my (hopefully arrived at
>>> home
>>> while I've been at the office) copy of Learning Unix on MacOSX (the new
>>> O'Reilly)
>>
>> It'll be interesting to see what that book is all about. I'm comfortable
>> with Unix, but not a pro.  I have the Unix in a Nutshell book
>> (actually, the
>> whole bookshelf CD thing - 5 nutshell books on  a cd is pretty cool)
>> and I
>> like that.
>
> Don't buy this one. It's waaaaaay too basic for you.

Ahhh...well, I'm sure there are some things that would be made easier in
this book than they are in the others. I'm still more likely to read the man
page than I am to actually get up, move 2 steps, open book, sit down, etc.,
etc..

> It's at the 'useful reference' stage for me - very little which is
> totally new, but lots of nice things like all the keyboard shortcuts for
> vi.

Ugh...I learned emacs first, so that's the one I use. Actually, now I use
BBEdit 6.5 for everything. The command line tools kick butt.

> Cheers
> Martin
>
> (annoyed that the OS update needs a restart. A month of problem-free
> uptime taken away :-( (would have been 3 months, but some person using a
> guest login on my machine decided to shut down))

Don¹t get hung up on uptime. The only reason uptime is cool is that now you
(more or less) get to decide when the machine will be shut down. I like to
think of it more in terms of "how long has it been since this computer
destroyed n hours or work with a crash?". Uptime means "how long since I
rebooted" now, which is all I ever want it to be.

My old boss once told me  a story about how he carried an old Sun machine
from the old machine room to the new one - still running, UPS's still
attached and screaming for a power outlet - just to keep the 400+ day uptime
going. I was impressed at first, but now I think he was an idiot for running
the risk of dropping the cpu, batteries, etc. in the rush just to feed his
ego.

bob