[thechat] How a group of neighbors built their own high-speed network

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Jun 6 17:53:01 CDT 2002

On Thursday, June 6, 2002, at 11:34  pm, Beau Hartshorne wrote:

>> Yeah, when/if we move out of the city we'll probably do something
>> similar, likely to be satellite in the first instance, plus wireless
> lan
>> to the neighbours.
>
> When you split a connection like that, wouldn't the
> Satellite/DSL/Cable/whatever provider have something to say (if they
> noticed)?

Depends on the TOS. The product I'm thinking of is
http://www.btopenworld.com/satellite/our_products.html
(the multiple computer one),

Here's the TOS:
http://www.btopenworld.com/business/static/satellite_terms.html

The relevant bit is:
"When we provide you with the service it, and any associated software,
is intended for your use only. Therefore, you must not re-sell,
transfer, assign or sub-license the service (or any part of it) or the
associated software to anyone else. "

But because this is a business service intended for multiple users
within an organisation, I wouldn't be buying the service personally and
reselling or sub-licensing it. They would be providing the service to a
community association for which I'm the appointed person dealing with BT.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,