[thechat] Where do you host your sites?

Isaac Forman isaac at triplezero.com.au
Tue Jun 11 19:12:00 CDT 2002

Hey,

Some of you will be aware of the recent reorganisation of the volunteers who
run evolt.org into a few key groups. I represent one of those (Marketing)
along with Lachlan Cannon who you will have seen around the place also.

Now, evolt.org's sites run up some substantial bandwidth costs
(100gig/month+ and growing) and we need to cover those to ensure the
survival of thelist, www.evolt.org, the browser archive, the member hosting,
and so on.

One idea is Affiliate Hosting. Read about it here:
http://freezope2.nipltd.net/acorn/evolt/WhyAffiliateHost

But the basic concept is that if you host your blog, clients, etc and
nominate evolt.org as the referrer, we could rack up the small commissions
and put them towards keeping the services online.

Anyway, to get an idea as to whether this is a viable method of supporting
evolt.org, I'm interested in knowing how many people have sites that they
could/would shift to an affiliate host to help keep evolt.org running.

For example, I have 30 smallish sites I can shift to the right host here in
Australia (I'm actually investigating co-locating my own server and running
an affiliate program on that (small scale)), and a couple of larger ones.

Please note that many of the affiliate hosts will provide CF/ASP/PHP/etc
services, so non-standard configs aren't a problem in most cases.

So, any thoughts? How many sites do you have that you'd be willing to move
to support evolt.org?

Yell out if you have any concerns too.

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au