[thechat] Find your ideal US city

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Jun 13 02:08:01 CDT 2002

At 11:28 AM 6/13/2002, Hugh wrote:
>All that spewed, MSP is a great place with great people - mostly. I'd
>be happy to live there anytime. And Madhu, COME ON DOWN. I'm sure we'll
>make you feel right at home.

Hi Hugh. I'd probably find it difficult, if not impossible to even get a
regular visa, let alone an H1B. :(

I chanced upon the site by following a link from another blog, so I was
just curious about what type of city would be my type. You asked if I
wanted a cold place. Actually, I just wanted a place that wasn't too hot,
because I've always been a "love the cold" type of person myself. Of
course, snow most of the year isn't my idea of a great place either. Of
course, our perception of what's hot may differ. I grew up in New Delhi,
where peak summer temperatures can hit 46 deg. C (115 deg. F) so I've faced
a fair bit of heat. I would be quite comfortable somewhere where max.
temperature was around 90 deg. F

Here are some of my answers:

Climate

a) Mild climate, neither too hot nor too cold (Bangalore, where I stay now,
is such a place.)
b) Hate lots of rain. It bugs the hell outta me.
c) Take the cold better than the heat

Culture

a) Don't particularly care if there are museums or art galleries nearby.
I'm not the "art lover" kind.

Education
a) I prefer progressive education to back-to-basics curricula.
b) Airport within driving distance is OK.

Recreation
a) Not much into outdoor sports, except maybe biking, and walking. Indoor
sports such as weight training - good.
b) Wouldn't mind lakes

Urban
a) Prefer low-crime areas, but not at expense of the amenities
b) Nowhere near a desert, thanks

Religion
a) I'm an atheist, so I couldn't care less
b) Don't particularly care about having people from my community nearby
either. Indifferent.

Rent
a) Have no idea what "average" rent is, but I can't afford NY City by a
long shot. Some place where I don't have to spend more than 30% of net
income on rent would be nice.

So, Hugh, got any recommendations for me? ;)

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net