[thechat] Madhu's ideal US City

Janet Green JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com
Thu Jun 13 08:52:08 CDT 2002

So, Hugh, got any recommendations for me? ;)

Des Moines, Iowa
A small town that looks like a big city... climate's within your range, winter is about 3 months long and it can get way below freezing, but spring/summer/fall is fabulous where the temperature gets over 100 only about 5-6 days a year (usually in August, and ALWAYS on the first day of the State Fair, because that is "Senior Citizens Day" and there is a state law which says Senior Citizens Day at the Fair has to be over 100 so the local news reporters can use the phrase, "They're dropping like flies."). Temps are normally 80's-90's in the summer. There's a "taste" of everything here, culturally and recreationally - we seem to be getting more health clubs lately ;) And we're nowhere near a desert :) Currently experiencing a construction boom, both downtown and in the 'burbs; total population is about half a million between the city and surrounding area. I'm sure there must be disadvantages to living here but I don't know what they are. I took the quiz thinking I should move for awhile so I could make a big show of coming back.  Check us out, www.desmoinesmetro.com - and yes I'm completely biased, as I work for the Chamber of Commerce <grin>... but, it's also my hometown, lived here 39 years and counting.

Janet