[thechat] sxsw - pricing?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 17 08:55:01 CDT 2002

> From: dave mclean <dave at members.evolt.org>
>
> > so i wondered how much SxSW cost.  'cause they aren't sayin.
>
> They have student pricing, but I think it's just under $200 USD.  I'm
> not sure if that entitles you to the whole shebang or just the
> interactive festival.  We went in 2001, but many of us forked out too
> much for airfare/booze/hotel rooms, to actually go to the conference.

i shelled out ~$350 for the film and interactive piece... i would have
done music, but my concert promoting days are over, and i only
did film because of my interest (my film days are over, too)... i felt
it was worth it, but i also stayed with friends who fed me, other
than one warm night in a hotel with 9 other evolters.... you can get
as much out of it as you want, assuming you go harass the
panelists, and generally make a nuisance of yourself...

> I think aardvark went to some stuff and ceaselessly yelled out "Hack!"

almost... i did heckle a few people who were clueless, but also
enjoyed some of the other ones... i also pimped evolt.org in a
couple, like powazek's community one... i think...

> to anything anyone had to say.  It won't be long before he's a speaker
> on the tour. I think listening to aardvark is just as, if not more,
> useful than listening to Zeldman.  Not a slag against the Z-man, but
> he's just done a better job of whoring himself.  Adrian's got a ways
> to go yet, but he's getting there. Oh yeah, sxsw.... uh... it was a

um, thanks, but i haven't got much to say that y'all haven't heard,
and debated, before...

> fun time, but we didn't need to go to anything because we did all the
> evening events and hung out in this sort of mass of evolt.org whilst
> we were there. We did go to the tradeshow though... that was fun.

that's where i tortured those poor guys from adobe... "so, just what
does the naturalsizeflag attribute do, guys?"... among other
annoyances...

but that hanging out part was fun... if i didn't have a major
scheduling conflict, i would have been back down there this year...

i tell you, it's kind of funny sitting outside a theatre in austin and
having a friend call you to see if you wanna go to dinner -- a friend
who's back home and forgot you're out of town... makes for an
amusing conversation...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself