[thechat] Solve This Political Triangle

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Mon Jun 17 15:53:00 CDT 2002

On 01:37 PM 6/17/2002, Syed Zeeshan Haider said to me:
>What kind of interests does USA seek from Israel and Arabs?

As far as I can tell, economic on both sides.

We like selling things to Israel and they are more than happy to buy our
things: wheat, computers, F-16s, etc. (Israel imports more from the U.S.
than anyone else).  Israel also benefits *heavily* from American (and
European and Brazilian and Japanese) tourism, so no peace and stability
means little to no tourists, which affects many, many people (from the
Tourism Minister to the people begging for money at tourist sites).

As for the Arabic nations, one word: oil.  From a strictly economic
standpoint, there is nothing else.  The U.S. wants a happy, stable Saudi
Arabia, Kuwait, Turkey, Jordan, Oman, Yemen, U.A.E., Bahrain, etc., etc.
(and, technically, Libya, Iraq and Iran, but we all know how those three
turned out...) so that we can buy their oil.

In addition, there is domestic political desire to please both
Jewish-American and Arab-American groups which are reasonably-sized voting
blocks in this country.

Anyways, it's typical American political behavior: play the whole field to
make the most money.

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/

   Whatever it is, I'm sure that I was just about to get to it.