[thechat] what the hell is this?

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Tue Jun 18 20:58:01 CDT 2002

> require their registrants to correct and update their account
> information during the term of their domain name registration.

no cc number required, bob

i got one of those today, it was a reminder

verisign recently converted to some new account management system and wanted
people to verify their accounts

a couple weeks ago they sent me -- get this -- an email with my new account
number, and a snail mail letter with the associated password

so i went in today and updated my info

good thing too, because while i was in there i *unchecked* two radio
buttons -- at the bottom, natcherly -- giving verisign my permission to
share my whois info

all in all, it's something i think every netsol domain name holder should do

you never know when verisign will take your silence the wrong way

and don't forget what happened with hoopla (see
http://www.textism.com/article/494/, which many blogs have made a target of
a googlebomb attack)

in a related development, you may have heard that whois query sites like
geektools and allwhois are not getting results from verisign anymore

<tip>

2030 : Confronting Thermageddon in Our Lifetime
by Robert Hunter

in canada, go to
http://chapters.indigo.ca/item.asp?Catalog=Books&Section=Books&Cat=&Lang=en&
Item=978077104238&mscssid=43MHJ3TAK2KG8JLA8MSWER75P4CGFVB6&WSID=210679643561
DE8E40B0B5008B4F89F2FCB34418

elsewhere, try
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0771042388/qid%3D1024451319/ref%3Dsr%
5F11%5F0%5F1/102-7328316-8042502

hunter is a co-founder of greenpeace, a quintessential hippie and -- how
shall i put this? -- definitely on the left side of the political spectrum

on local tv, he has a spot every morning where a cameraman come to his house
and broadcasts him live as he reviews the latest political shenanigans in
the three daily newspapers, stories which he has conveniently marked up in a
yellow highlighter -- saving us all the bother of reading the papers (a
brilliant little spot for a tv station, eh?)

</tip>

rudy