[thechat] Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics

Janet Green JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com
Fri Jun 21 14:41:00 CDT 2002

Great link! I loved this. A few things they didn't address (or at least that I haven't looked hard enough to find) -

* We constantly see images of people being "blown away" when shot - being propelled backwards with great force, maybe even tumbling out a 20-story window just for effect. But - if the bullet/s really carried that much force, wouldn't the *shooter* also be propelled backwards to a similar degree?? (equal and opposite reaction and all that...)

* We watch bad guys get shot, sometimes repeatedly, and still keep moving forward menacingly toward the hero... when in reality - the energy released inside the body by a single bullet would likely drop them to the ground.

* Finally, something that's bugged me for almost 25 years... wouldn't the Bandit's TransAm (or even Bo Duke's General Lee) have been MANGLED beyond usefulness after making even one jump?