[thechat] Star Trek 10 script

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Mon Jun 24 14:35:00 CDT 2002

Janet Green wrote:

> I hate to be a party-pooper, but wouldn't posting this constitute a major copyright violation? Just curious.

It might be if it was the real script.  Given the way the internet
works, it doesn't seem very likely that its real.  So I would consider
it a work of fan fiction.  For those, copyright is still invested in the
creator, but wide redistribution is generally implied in such cases.

And even if it was real I don't think it would constitute a *major*
copyright violation.  It is being redistributed in an unauthorized
fashion, but it is not being resold and attribution for the work is not
being changed so it doesn't really effect the value of the work in a
significant manner.

Not that I really care about the script or the movie for that matter.  I
stopped watching Star Trek shows and movies awhile ago.  I finally hit
my cheeseball limit and could stomach no more.

Judah