[thechat] What?? WHAT?????

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Wed Jun 26 14:17:00 CDT 2002

At 12:40 AM 6/27/2002, Janet Green wrote:
>A judge wrote that a statement that we are one nation "under God" is no
>different than saying we are a nation "under Jesus" or "under Vishnu" --
>or a nation "under no God."

Well... that is *technically* true.

Suppose I were to become a US citizen and have to take this oath. I'm an
atheist, so saying that I believe in "one nation under God" would be
technically lying, or at least untrue.

If you removed the "under god" part, it should work, IMO.

In Australia, for example, to become a citizen you have to swear an oath,
but if you're not religious, you can also pledge an affirmation, which
doesn't have any references to God. (Issac?)

BTW, got a URL, Janet?

Regards,

Madhu