[thechat] politics, guitars, etc...

jcanfield at magisnetworks.com jcanfield at magisnetworks.com
Wed Jun 26 16:42:00 CDT 2002

> Churchill, who owns a
> 1691 Stradivarius, have a unique bond to their old
> instruments. "We are in awe of its age, we are in awe of its
> price, but we're also in awe of the potential of such an
> instrument in our hands," she says. Perhaps that's what most
> makes a Strad a Strad.

Yeah. Mine (well, my mom's) has a label claiming it was made by Giovan Paolo
Magginni (sp?) in 1637, but since he actually labeled his instruments, he's
also one of the most forged makers. But then, apparently the bulk of the
fakes were made in the early 1700s when his work was popular, so it's not
like it's brand new, either. I know its history back almost 200 years; hard
to say how old it really is.

Somehow, being sat on by my brother 40 years ago and crushed to splinters,
then rebuilt by my father, seems to have affected its tone somewhat.

joel