[thechat] What?? WHAT?????

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Jun 26 18:26:00 CDT 2002

On Thursday, June 27, 2002, at 12:00  am, John Handelaar wrote:

>> I'll now expect that
>> we will soon be lobbying England to quit singing, "God Save the
>> Queen."
>
> I'll vote for *that*.

oops, I misread Janet's email as "we'll be lobbying England to let us
start singing GSTQ"

I'm with John, although I have a sneaking regard for (even though I
don't agree with) Billy Connolly's take on it which is "I think the
Queen should be saved, and I think God's the very fellow to do it." He
goes on to complain that the tune is such dirge (and he's spot on there)
and suggest that the alternative should be something lively like:

http://www.mathematik.uni-
bielefeld.de/~lisken/archers/samples/barwickg.mp3
(different formats and whole episodes at
http://www.mathematik.uni-bielefeld.de/~lisken/archers/samples/ )

which is the theme tune to BBC Radio 4's longrunning soap opera, The
Archers:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A583346

Cheers
Martin