[thechat] More Pledge news

jcanfield at magisnetworks.com jcanfield at magisnetworks.com
Fri Jun 28 11:36:00 CDT 2002

> I heard a suggested replacement on the radio last night that
> seemed pretty catchy ...
>

> "On Earth as it is in Texas ...."
>

> ;-)
>

> RonL.
> (Trolling?  Hell no officer, I was ... uh ... bait casting
> ... Yeah, that's it!)

Okay, you asked for it:

This marketing guy from Kentucky Fried Chicken manages to get access to the
Pope. He presses the pontiff to change the Lord's Prayer to say 'give us
this day our daily chicken' instead of bread; offering a million dollar
'contribution' to the church in exchange. The Pope, of course, refuses.

[ . . . Excise various iterations designed to extend the joke, delaying the
punchline needlessly . . .]

Finally, after pestering the Pope for quite some time, the marketer tells
him that his very powerful backers are willing to up the contribution to a
billion dollars if he'll sanction the change. The Pope, stalling for time,
says he'll have to put it before the cardinals.

And he opens his presentation to them, "I have good news, and I have bad
news. The good news is, we've got a huge contribution on the way. The bad
news is, I think we're going to lose the Wonder Bread account . . ."

Boy was I tempted to sign rudy's name to this, just 'cause it's Friday