[thechat] Eminem

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Fri Jun 28 18:38:00 CDT 2002

Kevin Stevens wrote:

>Erika wrote...
>>  Oh well, big deal.  I just like the music industry guys less and less.
>>  I was going to go check out that Eminem CD after work today (payday!).
>
>This comes as quite a surprise to me, I'd never have had you down as an
>Eminem fan. Of all the people on this list I would have thought his misogyny
>and homophobic attitudes would have put you right off.

I have a soft spot trailer trash.  Besides, no one has really proved
to me that he is any more misogynistic than, say... Mick Jagger...
just to name one off the top... and as for the homophobia, I don't
think he is really that way at all.

I haven't heard enough of the offensive lyrics to be certain, I'm
just judging from what I *have* heard and what I heard him and others
say about it.

Lower class Americans will say "fag" or "queer" and they don't even
really think about what it means, they just know it's an insult.
Probably don't even know a single homosexual person.  I am not saying
he's right to do that, I'm just saying it comes from ignorance not
hate.  Usually you can educate the ignorant if you give them the
benefit of the doubt and are nice about it.  The truly hateful are
another story.

Eminem is just a youngster. He's ignorant.  Elton John understood.

Ignorant trailer trash genius.  I love them.  (I'm trying to quit
dating them though.)

I respect how hard Eminem has worked, I think his music is
powerful/interesting & different, and I understand (unlike many
people, apparently) that the "Slim Shady" character is fictional.

I've not found him as offensive as a lot of other "hip hop" artists,
for some reason, maybe it's because I do see his stuff as clearly
fictionalized.

Anyway, if I wrote off the creative work every misogynistic jerk in
rock n' roll, I'd have no fun at all.  I'd have to spend all my time
listening to folk rock waif girls or something.

"Hey Joe, what you doing with that gun in your hand...."

>wouldn't give him any of my money.

well... I'd rather not (give anyone associated with Eminem my money)
either... but I do want to suck up his creative energy and use it for
my own dastardly purposes...

I'm kind of a vampire that way.

>Please don't take this as a personal attack, it's not intended as such, but
>you seem to be quite a "politically correct" type of person

hahahahaha!  that was a joke right?
no?  okay, I'm siccing Courtney Love on your ass.

>and I just found
>your statement a bit confusing.

*sigh*

I have my opinions about art
and I have other opinions about politics.

I have a lot more fun with art.

Love to you.

Erika