[thechat] Fiercer beasts take a bite out of T. rex's reputation

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Jun 30 17:39:00 CDT 2002

On Sunday, June 30, 2002, at 11:30  pm, John Handelaar wrote:

>> And don't get me started on Independence Day.
>
> Whyever not?  I thought that the fact that an advanced
> alien intelligence based its ops on an OS constructed
> entirely from Linux core dumps was a 1337 thing to
> have.

Sure, but obviously the aliens were also running a system which
a) Accepts networking (or at least disks) from a Mac Powerbook which
didn't even support Unicode, let alone non-human characters
b) can be infected and fatally damaged by a virus knocked up in a couple
of hours.

True, this was Jeff Goldblum doing the knocking up, and as we all know
from Jurassic Park, he's a super-sexy mathematical genius (or is he just
a comedy stooge? Who can tell), but it's still stretching it a hell of a
long way.

Unless of course the alien ship was running Outlook...

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,