Trailer Trash (was Re: [thechat] Eminem

abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Tue Jul 2 06:47:01 CDT 2002

On Monday 01 July 2002 08:38 pm, you wrote:
> Speaking of PC, this used to be "white trash" didn't
> it? When did the term "trailer trash" come about? And
> why?

Since I've been working with the Mobile Home Owners Association of Illinois,
I guess I could explain trailer trash -- when *mobile* homes (which really
aren't mobile, BTW) came out and people started placing them on property, not
all of these *communities* were desirable neighborhoods. Trailer trash is
sort of like that Brad Pitt movie where he did the bare-knuckle boxing (I
never could remember titles) -- they found him in a run-down trailer park
that looked like indoor plumbing and electricity hadn't been introduced yet.

Most of these homes (they prefer the term manufactured home since they now
rival stick-built homes in many ways) and residents still carry the
stereotype of trailer trash from back in the 1950's or before even though
they do have indoor plumbing now.

So trailer trash is just another spin on white trash. Although, with the
price of some of these homes, the white trash would have to have a pretty
good income to move into some of these *trailers.*