[thechat] maths /programming

Andrew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Tue Jul 2 08:56:00 CDT 2002

At 23:47 02/07/2002 +1000, Lachlan Cannon wrote:
>How many of the programmers on this list are also good at maths? I ask
>because I've seen people talk about a correlation before, and I'm strong
>at both, and they seem to go so logically well together, yet I've seen
>people talk about programmers who absolutely can't do maths and vice
>verse. It makes me wonder, because so many aspects are the same.
>Variables, going from one input to a certain output & rules for finding
>things eg, functions, etc.

   I can handle maths up to integration, sort of. After that, it goes bad.
I'm extremely good on spatial geometry, though. Nobody ever notices this
until they see me pouring wine while already drunk - I always get exactly
the same amount in each glass.

   This does lead to me thinking of programs as three-dimensional branch
structures, and I've often gotten blank stares from other people as I go
about describing a program thus - and that's before I touch on the chaos
theory. :)

   (I never learned programming or even logic formally - self-taught all
the way.)

   Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com
                                                     +353-1-2365705