[thechat] maths /programming

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Tue Jul 2 09:12:01 CDT 2002

Lachlan Cannon wrote:

> How many of the programmers on this list are also good at maths? I ask
> because I've seen people talk about a correlation before, and I'm strong
> at both, and they seem to go so logically well together, yet I've seen
> people talk about programmers who absolutely can't do maths and vice
> verse. It makes me wonder, because so many aspects are the same.
> Variables, going from one input to a certain output & rules for finding
> things eg, functions, etc.

I've already worked with two programmers who were previously sociologists,
they enjoyed programming because "it's easy", computers are so much more
predictable than people. ;)

I'm not a programmer, I've worked closely with many, and have got to
undestand the logic behind it. I was quite good at math, but I sometimes
missed a detail that made my whole excersize wrong. The part I fail at is
that ennerving strictness of code, that's the main issue that keeps me away
from the world of code...