[thechat] maths /programming

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Jul 2 09:13:01 CDT 2002

Hey Lach,

Who you calling a programmer?

;-)

Yeah - I've heard about the correlation between math and CS before ... in fact, I've probably said it before.

I think math trains folks to think logically, organize well, and dissect problems into important parts and unimportant parts.  All skills that I think translate very well to CS.

RonL.
(One of those rare (?) wierdos who was asked to take the Putnam twice!)

[The Putnam is an *extremely* challenging math exam that selected college undergrads are invited to take here in the US.  Individual as well as college "team" scores are computed. It's held once a year. Oh, and if you think you are good at math --- it can be a pretty humbling experience.]