[thechat] maths /programming

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Tue Jul 2 10:05:05 CDT 2002

"Luther, Ron" wrote:

> Hi Javier,
>
> Gee.  That struck me a little odd.  I guess I viewed mistakes in a different light - they usually tell me how 'close' I'm getting to the right answer ... For many years I used to tell people I was very good with computers BECAUSE "I can make more mistakes *faster* than just about anyone".  Eliminate the wrong approaches and 'poof' you have the answer!

i know what you mean, in that approach i'd probably be a good prospective programmer, i'm good making things work fast and make small code, but when i f*ck it up with that extra (or missing) comma, i can take a year to find the error.

> FWIW, I've kind of visualized my code as a flowing stream of water ... which lets me quickly pound out which processes need to be placed 'upsteam' of the other processes. I can quickly see where some new routine needs to be added because I know where it will be used. Hmmm ... I guess I use that same metaphor in wiring my stereo gear together too!

it's like the way i see my interaction designs... user flows, we'd probably get to big stuff by working together ;-)