[thechat] Eminem lyrics: White America

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed Jul 3 14:53:01 CDT 2002

Primary sources.

Here's a sample of same.   "Erika loves my shit..."
...now you tell me the problem *isn't* political...

I like the ending lines, reminiscent of Dead Kennedys "Moral Majority"
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/deadkennedys/moralmajority.html

"Fuck you Ms. Cheney! Fuck you Tipper Gore! Fuck you with the freest
of speech this divided states of embarrassment will allow me to have,
Fuck you!

And then he says "Just kidding..."

yeah, right.

_______________________________________

 From the album "The Eminem Show"

America! We love you! How many people are proud to be citizens of
this beautiful country of ours? The stripes and the stars for the
rights that men have died for to protect / The women and men who have
broke their necks for the freedom of speech the United States
government has sworn to uphold. (Yo I want everybody to listen to the
words of this song) or so we're told...

I never would've dreamed in a million years I'd see, so many
motherfuckin' people who feel like me/who share the same views and
the same exact beliefs, it's like a fuckin' army marchin' in back of
me/So many lives I touch, so much anger aimed in no particular
direction, just sprays and sprays and straight through your radio
waves it plays and plays, till it stays stuck in your head for days
and days/who woulda thought, standing in this mirror bleachin' my
hair, with some peroxide, reachin for a t-shirt to wear/that I would
catapult to the forefront of rap like this? How could I predict my
words would have an impact like this/I must've struck a chord, with
somebody up in the office, cuz Congress keeps telling me I ain't
causin' nuthin' but problems/and now they're sayin' I'm in trouble
with the government, I'm lovin' it, I shoveled shit all my life/and
now I'm dumping it on...

Chorus X2

White America!
I could be one of your kids
White America!
Little Eric looks just like this
White America!
Erica loves my shit
I go to TRL, look how many hugs I get

Look at these eyes, baby blue, baby just like yourself, if they were
brown Shady lose, Shady sits on the shelf/but Shady's cute, Shady
knew Shady's dimples would help, make ladies swoon baby, ooh baby!
Look at my sales/Lets do the math, If I was black I would've sold
half, I ain't have to graduate from Lincoln High School to know
that/but I could rap, so fuck school, I'm too cool to go back, gimme
the mic, show me where the fuckin' studio's at/When I was
underground, no one gave a fuck I was white, no labels wanted to sign
me almost gave up, I was like/Fuck it, until I met Dre, the only one
to look past, gave me a chance, and I lit a fire up under his
ass/helped him get back to the top, every fan black that I got was
probably his in exchange for every white fan that he's got/Like damn,
we just swapped. Sittin' back lookin' at shit, wow, I'm like my skin
is it starting to work to my benefit now?

Chorus X2

See the problem is I speak to suburban kids who otherwise would of
never knew these words exist/whose moms probably woulda never gave
two squirts of piss, till I created so much motherfuckin'
turbulence/straight out the tube, right into your living room I came,
and kids flipped when they knew I was produced by Dre/That's all it
took, and they were instantly hooked right in, and they connected
with me too because I looked like them/that's why they put my lyrics
up under this microscope, searchin' with a fine tooth comb, its like
this rope/waitin' to choke, tightening around my throat, watching me
while I write this, like I don't like this (Nope)/All I hear is:
lyrics, lyrics, constant controversy, sponsors working round the
clock, to try to stop my concerts early/surely hip hop was never a
problem in Harlem only in Boston, after it bothered the fathers of
daughters starting to blossom/so now I'm catchin' the flack from
these activists when they raggin', actin' like I'm the first rapper
to smack a bitch, or say faggot/shit, just look at me like I'm your
closest pal, the posterchild, the mother fuckin' spokesman now for...

Chorus X2

So to the parents of America / I am the derringer aimed at little
Erica, to attack her character / The ringleader of this circus of
worthless pawns / Sent to lead the march right up to the steps of
Congress / And piss on the lawns of the White House and replace it
with a Parental Advisory sticker / To spit liquor in the faces of in
this democracy of hypocrisy / Fuck you Ms. Cheney! Fuck you Tipper
Gore! Fuck you with the freest of speech this divided states of
embarrassment will allow me to have, Fuck you! I'm just kiddin'
America, you know I love you...