[thechat] Most spoken languages in the world

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Jul 4 05:28:00 CDT 2002

At 03:48 PM 7/4/2002, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
>I am still curious why couldn't those Indians speak Hindi?

That's simple. Those fellows are not from North India, but from the
southern state of Kerala (my state), which, while having the highest
literacy rate in India (~100%), is also, ironically, one of only two states
to still cling to communism. Because of that, industrial growth is very
poor in Kerala. A lot of Keralites flee, er, move to the Gulf region,
especially Saudi Arabia and Dubai, to earn what they think will be a better
living.

Go to Canada on the other hand, and you'll find plenty of Hindi-speaking
Sikhs. :)

>I think you know that most Hindi speakers can understand and speak Urdu also.

Yep. I can understand it very well, but don't speak it much. So I speak 4.5
languages. ;)

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon