[thechat] Most spoken languages in the world

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Thu Jul 4 17:06:01 CDT 2002

Today, the cows mooved Daniel Frey to write:

> "With anywhere from 350 to 400 million speakers, many lists have Spanish
> surpassing English, and by most standards, that is right. The official
> language in just over 20 nations including Andorra, Belize, Colombia,
> Cuba, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Spain, U.S., and Venezuela, Spanish
> weighs in at numero cuatro."
>
> Wait, what?  Spanish is the official language of the U.S.?

The US rather pointedly doesn't have official languages, but Spanish is the
second-most widely spoken language in the US, and in certain states where it is
particularly prevalent (Texas, Arizona, California especially, Chicago and New
York City, too, I think), government documents and forms are required to be made
available in Spanish.

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski       jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders \\ members.evolt.org/jswiders

There's no place like $HOME.