Culture and thechat and stuff (was RE: [thechat] [ugh])

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Fri Jul 5 10:21:00 CDT 2002

> Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
>
> > Hi John,
> > As this unfortunate event took place in Pakistan,
> therefore, being a
> > Pakistani, I would like to say something.
>
> I love having the chance of listening the opinion of someone
> who belongs to the country

Too right. And how 'bout the fact that you *can* listen to such? I'm still
blown away by the fact that I have friends in half a dozen countries I've
never been to, and can chat with folks from all over the world.

Some of you youngsters may not remember this, but there was a time when you
couldn't do that. In fact, I'm so old that when I was a kid, long distance
phone calls were only used to announce the death of a near relative;
otherwise the cost was prohibitive.

I have too much spare time on my hands this morning, so I'm off to learn
some PHP instead of sitting here waiting for the next message to pop in.

joel