[thechat] Most spoken languages in the world

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Fri Jul 5 11:19:00 CDT 2002

At 08:49 PM 7/5/2002, Ben Dyer wrote:
>I guess I just run into more Latinos around here. (side note, I read
>somewhere that "Hispanic" is supposed to be offensive, but I don't know
>why, I've stuck with using the word "Latino" lately)

This reminds me of an episode of that old series "Hill Street Blues". This
veteran cop gets an award for "Hispanic officer of the year" from the
police department, and then he comes up on stage and makes an emotionally
charged speech. He says something like, "It pains me that I've been an
American citizen for 20 years. I'm an American. And yet I get the award for
'Hispanic officer of the year'. I'm a proud American."

OK, I saw that episode more than a decade ago, so my recollection may be a
bit frelled.

On a related topic, I want to learn a couple of foreign languages. Spanish
is definitely one of them, and maybe French would be the other. I've heard
that the Rosetta Stone series is a good CD guide to learning languages.
Could anyone support or deny that?

Thanks,

Madhu