[thechat] Most spoken languages in the world

Sean G. ethanol at mathlab.sunysb.edu
Sat Jul 6 13:44:00 CDT 2002

Howdy,

People feigning ignorance of English to avoid speaking with you does not
make them lazy, or different from ANY other ethnic group over the last 300
years...

I went to a public university in the US of A with a large number of foreign,
particularly Asian, students.  I found it quite natural that Korean
students, when socializing or studying with their Korean friends, spoke
their native language.  Likewise with the Dominican, Russian, and even
British students.  I didn't encounter anyone who couldn't speak and
understand spoken English, even if it was not their language of first
choice.

However to be accurate, there is one ethnic group that as a group has been
too damn lazy to learn the language of the land--the English.  I'm sure we
can find surveys of how many English-speaking European immigrants have
learned a Native American tongue, and compare that to the numbers of
Spanish-speaking immigrants that have learned English.

I suspect the former number is very close to nil, while the later is closer
to unity than you suspect.

Sean G.