[thechat] [ugh]

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Mon Jul 8 16:34:01 CDT 2002

Yeah, what he said.

Zeeshan tells us that

a) the death sentence represents a deterrent *and*
b) that the death sentence failed to deter,

Which is it?

Incidentally,

c) we also know from a myriad other sources that the
   death sentence failed to deter people from committing
   cartloads of other similar offences, and
d) the reintroduction of the death penalty in the US
   had no discernable effect whatsoever on the murder rate,
   and
e) that countries which abolish the death sentence also
   experience no obvious difference in the rate of the
   crimes in question.

The death penalty has nothing to do with a deterrent effect
(there isn't one) and everything to do with eye-for-an-eye
retribution.  Even as punishment it doesn't stand up, because
dead people, as a rule, are unable to experience suffering.

But I'm not really gunning for the death penalty right now
(might do later) - just refusing to allow that 'deterrent'
bollocks to go by unchallenged.

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8933 1494       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com