[thechat] punishment (was: [ugh])

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Jul 9 16:11:00 CDT 2002

Thanks, Javier.  I'm *really* happy about this decision of mine &
proud of my child.

A google search reveals that there has been a fair amount written on
the concept.

This idea also goes back to pre-contact Indigenous parenting styles...
Corporal punishment was introduced by colonists.  I can't think of
any Indigenous American groups (north or south America) that were
known to have corporally punished their own children prior to
colonialism.

African American society has a similar legacy to come to terms with.

Erika

"The net result of any kind of punishment is internalized oppression,
humiliation and degradation for both the giver and the receiver of
the punishment. It is difficult indeed to really see the profound
depth of this truth because we as individuals and collectively as a
society live within an oppressive and coercive environment."
http://www.engaged-zen.org/punish.html