[thechat] Location, location, relocation

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Wed Jul 10 20:20:00 CDT 2002

Hola mis amigos,

Phew, it's been a while since I've done anything other than lurk here, so
as always, I'm back with a big post.

I might have mentioned getting made redundant back in April, but I haven't
been slacking. Nope, I landed myself a contracting position in my home town
(yay, no more 5 hours a day on the trains) the very next day, and have been
happily working at a decent wage once more, putting a hell of a lot of
effort into some really cool things that will soon be released to the Zope
community.

But this is kinda beside the main point here.

Having so much time, and saving up a big-ass pile of cash has given me the
opportunity to do something that I've been hoping to do for the past few
years, and almost accomplished back in October 2000. So, at the end of
September this year, I will be leaving good old Blighty, and making my way
across the to sunny shores of Southern California. (Initially to visit the
Ventura County region, though I'm yet to decide on a more permanent home.)

Now, I'm no stranger to packing my life into a few little bags and leaving
behind my homeland for parts unknown, and at least this time the locals
will be speaking a language that bears a passing resemblance to my own.
What I'm wondering however, is that there is probably quite a bit of
collective experience of live in the USA represented on this list, and I'd
be extremely grateful for any advice that you guys might be able to offer.

I'm in the process of phoning embassies and whatnot with the express intent
of discovering any limitations to my ability to settle and work in the
states, and I'm resigned to the fact that at first I might have to put up
with only being able to visit for 90 days. Are there any British ex-pats on
the other side of the pond that have experience with the brutality and
bureaucracy of the INS who have lived to tell the tale?

I'm open to any advice you might have (though I should point out that "stay
in England" is likely to fall on deaf ears).

Right, time to sleep now. I have to start looking at how to sell all my
stuff in the next few days.

Laters,

Seb.

web: http://www.poked.org