[thechat] Possessive or not?

Plunkett, Matt MPlunkett at MSA.com
Thu Jul 18 12:18:01 CDT 2002

I asked one of the QA folks here...seems fair since I asked a question for
her yesterday on thelist. :P

This is what she sed:

I believe it's truly a manner of how you think about the sentence; as if the
whole thing was a proper noun--describing the information. I.e.,
"Loadable/Archive Cd Label Information" or as one piece being part of
another...i.e., the label is part of the CD.

I've had this problem before in QA.

For instance, we had a dialogue that read:
"Pressing "OK" will delete this group information. Are you sure you wish to
continue?"
and I wanted it changed to:
"Pressing "OK" will delete this group's information. Are you sure you wish
to continue?"

My argument was that the information belongs to/is particular to the group,
therefore it should be possessive. My guess is that the developer was
thinking of it as a category name (sort of a proper noun, but without the
capitalization) where "group information" was in itself an entity. If that
makes sense.

In theory, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this, as long
as it's done consistently.