[thechat] Possessive or not?

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 18 14:20:01 CDT 2002

At 11:24 PM 7/18/2002, John Handelaar wrote:

>of the book that SHOULD be called 'Bridget Jones's
> Diary'.

I majored in Comparative Literature and took a class
in
Scandanavian drama, basically Ibsen and Strindberg. We
read the works in translation but the prof had knew
the
languages. He pointed out that Ibsen's "Het
Dukkenheim"
was not possessive, so translating it as "A Doll's
House" is grammatically wrong. It also interferes with
the overall theme of the play. Can't remember just
what
the prof said on that point though.

Oh, and I've seen Lermontov's novel translated as
"Hero of Our Own Time", but there's no "Own" in the
Russian.

While I'm in a multilingual literary mood how about
Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky in German:

http://www.schreiberey.de/jabber.html
http://erp.fis.utoronto.ca/~easun/rabbit/1.1/academy.html

Terry