[thechat] On July 20th, 1969, humans first set foot on the Moon.

John Handelaar john at evolt.org.uk
Sun Jul 21 06:53:00 CDT 2002

> -----Original Message-----
> From: thechat-admin at lists.evolt.org
> [mailto:thechat-admin at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of rudy
> Sent: 20 July 2002 19:46
> To: thechat
> Subject: [thechat] On July 20th, 1969, humans first set foot on the
> Moon.
>
>   -- september 11 2001

Turned the tv on at about 2pm local time, and about 3 minutes
later a verbal-only report about an accident in NY came onto
BBC News.  By ten past there was a live picture on screen,
and there's been a plane crash.   About ten minutes after that
it looked like the other tower caught fire as a result of
the first.   It took several more minutes before an audible
"FUCK!" was heard from the background and several people started
running from the newsroom in the background towards the control
room - they'd been reviewing the second explosion on VT and
suddenly noticed what was actually on the tape immediately
beforehand.

And then all fucking hell broke loose.  By 2.30 there were
military planes screaming over my house in NW London at
500 feet headed for the City Airport and Canary Wharf.

>   -- january 16 1991

Spent the whole night in the CND Press Office fielding
calls from TV and press people.

>   -- january 28 1986

Unusually for here, it was live on BBC2, about 4.30pm and
I'd just got in from school.  Another 'WTF is going on'
for about 15 mins.

>   -- september 18 1970

Here's the ringer, I guess.

>   -- november 22 1963
>
>   -- october 4 1957

Born 1972, unfortunately.

I also, however, distinctly recall October 6, 1981 -
I was 9 years old and saw Anwar Sadat get shot through
the head as his jeep went along a line of troops at
an airport.

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8933 1494       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com