[thechat] On July 20th, 1969, humans first set foot on the Moon.

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Sun Jul 21 12:22:01 CDT 2002

Sorry I'm a bit late with this...
> this event ranks right up there in my memory along with
>
> -- september 11 2001
I was on the streetcar on the way to work and I called my husband at home to
remind him about something... he told me that someone had flown a plane into
the WTC. I don't think I really comprehended the enormity of it until I
actually saw footage of the buildings. We were terrified. There were still
planes unaccounted for and no one knew why this was happening. My boss
called work and told everyone to go home. The office was about 3 blocks from
the CN tower and the boss was worried that someone would smash a plane into
it, and the tower would crush us.

I stood outside the CityTV building for awhile with a crowd of people all
watching it on TV. Going home on the streetcar was weird. Half the people
looked shell-shocked, and the other half didn't know what had happened and
were carrying on as usual - chatting and laughing - it somehow seemed
obscene.

I got home and watched TV for hours. I remember watching on live TV as the
second building fell. Watching the people jumping. I'll never be able to
erase those images from my brain.

> -- january 16 1991
I was in high school and unlike most people around me, I was against the
war. I remember going to demos and the peace camp set up on the lawn of the
legislature building. I remember lighting candles for peace... Can you tell
I was a big hippie in high school?

> -- january 28 1986
We watched it live on TV in my grade 5 class. I remember the teachers
turning off the television. We all went back to our school work. I don't
think they knew how to handle it. I certainly didn't. But I remember feeling
sadness and some confusion.

> -- september 18 1970
Not alive.
> -- november 22 1963