[thechat] On July 20th, 1969, humans first set foot on the Moon.

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 21 17:56:06 CDT 2002

surprised nobody mentioned april 26, 1986 -- Chernobyl explosion...
as a kid, nuclear war didn't frighten me, but the idea that the
nation we were squared off against couldn't keep a reactor under
control was unsettling... that and the notion that it was terribly
easy to let a reactor fail...

> From: "rudy" <rudy937 at rogers.com>
>
>   -- september 11 2001

watched it live... saw the second plane hit... went to work to try to
track down friends... most everyone in the office had a friend or
family member there, including a form employee of ours who had just
moved out there... closed the office, called it a day...

>   -- january 16 1991

two local people i knew were killed in that conflict...  one from
very peculiar circumstances... but otherwise, i was the *only* kid in
high school who seemed to support it... there were rallies, students
brought in 'experts' to talk about what a bad idea it was, etc...  i
was not carrying the dominant view... i was also disappointed in how
our military let our own soliders be put at risk so that news
reporters could screw up and give away their positions over and
over...

>   -- january 28 1986

half day of school... watched it live... very unsettling, very much
one of the moments of perspective...  couldn't take my eyes off the
footage as it shone again and again...

we had to write poems about it in class -- i didn't much care for
that exercise...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself