[thechat] Bill Gates

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue Jul 23 19:03:00 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: "Syed Zeeshan Haider" <szh at softhome.net>
To: "Evolt TheChat" <thechat at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 10:03 PM
Subject: [thechat] Bill Gates

> Hello Everybody,
> A friend of mine has just sent some funny stuff to me. I have thought
> to share it here.

as funny as it is, here are some closer facts - some of it is actually
interesting reading, as opposed to being outright amusing.

> 1.    Bill Gate earns $250 every SECOND, that's about $20 million a
> DAY and $7.8 billion a YEAR!

Since MSFT went public on 1986-03-13, and given his net worth up to this
point, he earns:

US$            52.91 every second
US$           211.67 every 4 seconds (the time it takes to stop and
                     pick up something you've dropped)
US$         3,175.05 every minute
US$       190,503.11 every hour
US$     4,572,074.82 every day
US$ 1,668,807,310.67 every year (US$1.67bn)

Incidentally, he's currently worth US$27.56bn, based on an estimated holding
of 644,649,300 MSFT shares, priced at US$42.75 at close of trading today
(23rd July).  Adjusted for splits, and if he hadn't sold any stock since
they went public, Bill's original 11,142,000 holding would have been
1,604,448,000 (1.6bn) shares.  That would have made him worth US$68.59bn.

> 2.    If he drops a thousand dollars, he won't even bother to pick up,
> he would have already earned it back.

see above - I think if *anyone* dropped a 1K bill, they'd stop to pick it
up.

> 3.    US's national debt is about $5.62 trillion. If  Bill Gates wants
> to pay he debt by himself; he will finish it in less then 10 years.

the US National Debt currently stands at around $6.14 trillion, and he'd pay
it off in February 2021 (just under 19 years) at his current wealth growth
rate.

> 4.    He can donate $15 to every 1 on earth and still be left with $5
> million for his pocket money.

Given the current estimated global population of the planet by the US Census
Bureau of 6.24bn people, he could give US$4.41 to each person, and still
have US$45.2m left over for odds-and-sods.

> 5.    Michael Jordan is the highest paid athlete in the US. If he
> doesn't drink and eat, and keeps his annual income at $30 million,
> he'll have to wait for 277 years to become as rich as Bill Gates is
> today.

Kevin Garnett of the Minnesota Timberwolves basketball team gets paid
US$19.6m per year, which works out at US$239,101 a game in an 82-game
season.  To achieve Bill's current level of wealth, he'd have to play 1,406
seasons.

> 6.    If Bill Gates were a country, he will be the 37th richest
> country on earth.

According to GDP data up to the year 2000 from the World Bank, Bill would
sit between Kuwait (58th) and Uruguay (59th).

> 7.    If you change all of Bill Gate's money to $1 bills, you can
> make a road from earth to moon 14 times back and forth. But you'll
> have to make that road non-stop for 1400 years, and use a total of
> 713 BOEING 747 planes to transport all the money.

Actually ... a Boeing 747-400 can hold 27,467 cubic feet of cargo.  You can
get 24,605 dollar bills in a cubic foot.  To hold all of Bill's net worth in
US$1 bills, it would fill almost 41 747-400s.

However, 27,467 cubic feet of US$1 weighs 689.64 metric tons.  The rated
cargo carrying capacity of a 747-400 is 124 tons.  Therefore, you'd need to
spread the load across 227 747-400s to actually fly the money somewhere.

> 8.    Bill Gates will be 42 this year. If we assume that he still can
> live for another 35 years, he has to spend $6.78 million per day to
> finish his money before his death.

Given that the Internet Death Clock - http://www.deathclock.com/ - reckons
he'll die on August 9th, 2029 at age 73, and also given his current growth
rate of worth (around 33.8% per year), he'd be worth approximately US$73.08
trillion.

If he stopped earning money today, he'd have to spend his money at a rate of
US$2.79m per day to spend it all.  However, if he died with US$73.08
trillion to distribute in his will, US$15.16bn of that would be nabbed in
the form of Federal Estate Transfer Taxes, unless he left it outright to his
wife or charity - in either case, Uncle Sam gets nothing.

> 9.    BUT!!! If we, the WINDOWS users, claim $1 for every time their
> computers hang because of Microsoft Windows, Bill Gates will go
> bankrupt in 3 years.

Actually ... based purely on Windows 95 alone, which Microsoft claims has
sold 120m copies ... if every one of those copies crashes or otherwise
requires a reboot on average once per day, and Bill were charged US$1 per
crash or reboot, his money would last 229.65 days, or 0.62 years.

>      SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I think he has to sell his shares first to see a penny of that - he only has
a 12.94% shareholding of Microsoft Corporation ...

Much gratitude to Evan Marcus' "Bill Gates Net Worth Page" at
http://www.quuxuum.org/~evan/bgnw.html where a lot of this info comes from.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'