[thechat] holy grail chant - translations?

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Jul 25 03:20:00 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: "Jonathon Isaac Swiderski" <jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu>
To: "TheChat" <thechat at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 9:01 PM
Subject: [thechat] holy grail chant - translations?

> neither of my friends who've had latin could tell me, so to you all I
> turn:
>
> ya know the monks in (Monty Python & the Quest for the) Holy Grail,
> just before the witch bit, the ones who walk around hitting
> themselves with books?  what are they singing?
>
> (I'm starting to suspect it's actually nonsense, but I'd still like
> to know if they're actually saying anything. . .)
>
> The above email is carefully calculated to deprave the cultivated
> reader.

     Monks: (chanting) Pie Jesu domine, dona eis requiem (bonk)
            Pie Jesu domine, dona eis requiem (bonk)
            Pie Jesu domine, dona eis requiem ...
     Crowd: A witch! A witch! (bonk) A witch! A witch!
     Monks: Pie Jesu domine ...
     Crowd: A witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! We've found a witch!
            A witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! We've got a witch!
            A witch! A witch! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her!
            We've found a witch! We've found a witch! A witch! A witch!
Villager 1: We've found a witch. May we burn her?
     Crowd: Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her!
  Bedevere: How do you *know* she is a witch?
Villager 2: She looks like one!
     Crowd: Right! Yeah!
  Bedevere: Bring her forward.
     Witch: I'm not a witch!
  Bedevere: But you are dressed as one.
     Witch: They dressed me up like this.
     Crowd: Augh, we didn't! We didn't!
     Witch: And this isn't my nost, it's a false one.
  Bedevere: Well?
Villager 1: Well, we did do the nose.
  Bedevere: The nose?
Villager 1: And the hat, but she is a witch!
Villager 2: Yeah!
     Crowd: We burn her! Right! Yeaaah! Yeaaah!
  Bedevere: Did you dress her up like this?
Villager 1: No!
Villager 2: No.
Villager 3: No.
Villager 2: No.