[thechat] Word for this thing...

Martin Burns martin at evolt.org.uk
Fri Jul 26 08:01:00 CDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Madhu Menon wrote:

> Hello experts.
>
> I've got an English-related question. :)
>
> You know when you go to those take-out joints, there are these steel
> contraptions that keep the food hot? You find them all over food courts.
> What's the word for that contraption? I know how it's pronounced:
> "bay-marie". But I don't know how it's spelt. (It's just called a "hotcase"
> in this part of the world.)

bain marie if it's a 'dunk the container into a hole in the surface under
which there is hot water' - commonly used for stew-type food.

If it's a radiant heat lamp above the surface then it's a Salamander

Cheers
Martin

Also starring in fine email     | "Names, once they are in common use, quickly
productions such as             | become mere sounds, their etymology being
martin at easyweb.co.uk            | buried, like so many of the earth's marvels,
martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com | beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie