[thechat] [CROSS POST] PHP Meetup & Texas PHP Users

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Fri Jul 26 15:34:00 CDT 2002

Howdy all!

Just wanted to remind everyone that sign-up for the PHP Meetup is still in
progress at http://php.meetup.com . At latest count there are 289 folks
signed up world-wide with the top 10 cities being;

Washington DC (9 members)
Toronto (9 members)
Leeds, UK (8 members)
London, England (8 members)
Amsterdam (7 members)
Melbourne (6 members)
Atlanta (5 members)
Oakland-Alameda, CA (5 members)
Manhattan (below 42nd St) (5 members)
Montréal (4 members)

Why do something like this? Meet other developers, networking (you can never
tell when you're going to need another pair of hands for a project),
networking (you can never tell when someone is going to need to hire extra
hands for a project), and networking (you get the idea). Sign up soon! There
are thousands of PHP folks out there, spread the word.

On another note ....

TEXAS PHP Users!
php.meetup stats ...

Dallas, TX (2 members)
Austin, TX (2 members)
San Antonio, TX (2 members)
Bryan-College Station, TX (2 members)
Longview-Marshall, TX (1 members)

I would like to determine interest in having a PHP Mini-Conference in Texas,
perhaps in the January - April time frame. Due to some contacts that I have
I can get us discount rates at the T Bar M Tennis & Conference Center in New
Braunfels, with a meal package, and other non-PHP activities. There are many
golf courses in the area, T Bar M offers high and low rope course
instruction, there's tennis, water sports, close proximity to San Antonio,
The Hill Country, Gruene (where the oldest dance hall in Texas features tons
of stars as well as up-and-comers!), and much more.

You do not have to live in Texas to want to attend. Heck, you don't even
have to be a PHP developer, IT Managers who want to find out why PHP is good
for them, folks who have an interest in PHP but haven't taken the firt step,
or other computer types who just want to hang out with other computer types.

We could have a program of paper presentations, or it could be more of a
social/networking event. Heck, maybe someone such as an author or part of
the Zend group would be a guest speaker. There are many possibilities. Send
your thoughts on this to me directly at jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com.
If you know of other PHP developers who are not on any of the lists here,
please forward this information to them if you think that they would be
interested.

I look forward to your responses...

Jay